As if we didn’t have enough wine the day before, dad and I headed out the very next day and had a bit more.
Dusted Valley – We’d planned to go here the day prior but it was just too nuts. They were having a wine club pick up and I must say that I love the way this wine club works. You get to pick the wines you want, and I don’t just mean from the new releases. They had over a dozen wines to taste and club members could choose whatever they wanted for their club allotment . We liked everything we tried but really loved The Barrell Thief Red (a Sangiovese/Tempranillo blend) and The Stained Tooth Syrah. (The wine club is called The Stained Tooth Society – love it!) Great wines, super nice people and a great wine club….and have I mentioned they use screw tops on all their wines? I’m a big fan of that. This was my first visit but I will certainly be back.
Gifford Hirlinger – This is a couple doors down from Dusted Valley. It’s another Eastern Washington winery (Walla Walla) that decided to open up a tasting room in Woodinville. They had a nice line up of wines and great prices…AND a great sale was in progress…50% off! Of course I had to take advantage of that. I loved their Merlot and the 2007 LV, which is a Cabernet made with grapes from Napa. Yes, I said Napa. Every year they get grapes from Napa and make a Cab. It was phenomenal.
Fine Wine & Cigars – Dad and I attended their Semi Annual Winemakers Event. I love this event! Picture it if you will…a big/beautiful wine shop full of winemakers sampling their juice. It’s always very well done. This time there were quite a few wineries I’d never heard of or had heard of but had never had the chance to taste their wines. Of course there were some well-known and well-loved wines and wine makers as well. Really a very nice event. Some standouts were:
- Five Star Cellars – 2007 Petit Verdot/Cab Franc Blend
- Pondera – 2007 Sangiovese
- Spring Valley – 2006 Uriah (54% Merlot, 33% Cab Franc, 7% Petit Verdot, 6% Malbec)
- Stevens Winery – 2007 Black Tongue Syrah and 2007 Oui Red Table Wine (75% Merlot, 10% Cab, 8% Cab Franc, 7% Petit Verdot)
- Gorman Winery – 2007 Zachary’s Ladder (42% Cab, 25% Merlot, 25% Mourvedre, 7% Syrah, 1% Petit Verdot)
- Mark Ryan – 2006 Long Haul (48% Merlot, 46% Cab Franc, 6% Petit Verdot)
- Laurelhurst Cellars – Cab Franc